Why does SELECT not get expected results?

From: Mike Moore <hicamel_at_mail.home.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 03:43:35 GMT

SQL> select two,one,four from test;

TWO                  ONE        FOUR

-------------------- ---------- ----------------------------------------
is this data fun more dick and jane two one four two most yowsa two bosco yowsa two zabba yowsa

6 rows selected.

SQL> get junk1
  1 select a.two, a.one, a.four from test a   2* where rownum = (select max(rownum) from test b where a.two = b.two) SQL> /

TWO                  ONE        FOUR

is this data

I expected ....

is        this        data
fun      more     dick and jane
two     zabba    yowsa

This technique seems to get what I want if I use another column of the table instead of rownum.
Why does it stop prematurely?
thanks
Mike Received on Thu Apr 05 2001 - 22:43:35 CDT