Re: 8i max columns

From: Ian Ledzion <ian.ledzion_at_lgxbow.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 09:37:54 +0200

True enough, there are a number of NULL columns, which means we're not normalised to the Nth (sorry, forget which) degree. Since I always query my information horizontally (i.e. all the columns for one instrument), I would have to have an outer join on 20+ tables, which could have some rather unpleasant performance repercussions!

Basically, I can live with something which is not 100% conceptually pure just as long no duplication of information in the system, which would be really un-normalised.

"Daniel A. Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3ACC1936.A76BA506_at_exesolutions.com...
> I'll disagree for the reason noted above. What you have is sparse data.
 90+ out
> of 100 columns are null. Or something like that. Think vertically ... not
> horizontally.
>
> Daniel A. Morgan
>

> Ian Ledzion wrote:
>
> > Actually we're nearing 100 on a financial application where you store
> > instruments (bonds, shares, options, etc) in one table. This is
 normalised
> > as all operations refer to some kind of instrument.
> >
> > "Van Messner" <vmessner_at_bestweb.net> wrote in message
> > > Tables can have 1000 columns but Oracle stores them as three sections
 of
 255
> > > columns and one section of 235 columns. Perhaps the table creation
 wizard
> > > stumbles in a case like this.
> > >
> > > Van
> > >

> > > "Corey Jackson" <jackson_at_oafa.pitt.edu> wrote in message
 Wizard to