Re: Unnecessary table scans

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 15:53:11 +0100

Steve,

I've looked at the init.ora parameters you sent me in an offline post, and your comments that the data distribution is pretty uniform.

The problem is your value for hash_area_size, which is set to 20 MB. This is not a particularly unreasonable size for a typical datamart system, but it is having an adverse effect where you have potential star_transformations such as these.

I would guess that your very slow query
is taking some sort of multiple hashing
path through the data.

Try

    alter session set hash_area_size = 4000000;

and see if the fast path comes back and is more consistent. You might also like to look at bitmap_merge_area_size which defaults to 1M, perhaps increasing this to 2 to 4 MB (if the hash area change doesn't sort the problem).

One silly question - with apologies -do you have

    star_transformation_enabled = true

This is the parameter that allows Oracle to consider using multiple bitmap access paths in this fashion anyway.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases
Publishers:  Addison-Wesley

Reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html