Re: input parameters

From: Rene Nyffenegger <rene.nyffenegger_at_gmx.ch>
Date: 4 Apr 2001 11:54:55 GMT

>Surely, however, using wildcards in this manner would negate the use of
>an index - if applicable. This *may*, depending on the situation, result
>in a performance deficit...

I used to thing that if I use a wildcard search, and the % is at the right most end, an index can still be used. I.e

in
WHERE foo LIKE 'abc%'
an index on foo can be used, while in

WHERE foo LIKE 'a%bc'
or

WHERE foo LIKE '%abc'

the index cannot be used. If someone could give an authorative answer, I'd be very glad.

Rene

--
Rene Nyffenegger
rene dot nyffenegger at adp-gmbh dot ch