8i for Linux install

From: JTS <jsparks_at_crs.loc.gov>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 11:05:42 -0400

I have the Oracle8i for Linux book from Oracle Press that comes with the Enterprise Edition CD. I saw the posts about some of the difficulties *running* 8i in Linux, but I can't even get it to install. When I start the installer, the welcome screen comes up but when I click the "Next" button (or any other button, for that matter), nothing happens.

I'm running Mandrake 7.1 (kernel 2.2.15) on a Pentium iii 700Mhz with 384MB RAM & 400MB swap plus a 9GB /usr partition. This well exceeds the system requirements as I understand them. I saw on Oracle's site the issue with less than 2xRAM in swap making the "Welcome" screen appear & disappear, but with 400 in swap & almost the same in physical RAM, I thought I'd be OK. NTM, the screen stays up, it just won't let me advance to the next step. Does anybody know of any issues that might be causing this? I've already set up the groups & paths as per the installation instructions, and yes I was logged in as user "oracle". Any help is appreciated, thanks! Received on Mon Apr 02 2001 - 10:05:42 CDT