Re: Oracle DBA training

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 23:19:23 -0800

I would like to meet the person that in less than 90 days can learn even the Oracle data dictionary, the definition of the fields, and how to use them. I'd like to see them handle hit ratios, memory usage, explain plan, and restore to a point-in-time. Surely that person would deserve some equivalent of the Nobel Prize.

I had a guy with similar ideas in my class at the U at the beginning of last quarter. I logged on as SYS and performed the following in front of the full class:

SELECT object_name
FROM dba_objects;

and let it scroll and scroll and scroll. And every once in awhile I'd stop and explain what one or two of the items on the screen was. He never came back for my second class. And he was the only drop-out. <g>

Daniel A. Morgan