Re: "ORACLE" won't go away as password for INTERNAL!!!

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 19:41:52 +0200

"PC User" <seeMessage_at_NOSPAM.com> wrote in message news:Nrox6.1739$iU.277031_at_news1.rdc1.mb.home.com...
> Hi,
>
> I am running Oracle 8.1.6 on Windows 2000 server (SP/1).
>
> I have noticed that no matter what I do, the default password for Internal
> (i.e. "oracle") is *always* valid.
>
> Following is what I have tried:
> alter user sys identified by syssecret
>
> <I stopped the Oracle before I deleted and recreated the password file
 using
> orapwd. >
> orapwd file=pwdorcl.ora password=intsecret entries=5
>
> Following is what happens after above commands...
> Password "syssecret" is valid for user Sys.
> --what follows is realy interesting--
> Password "syssecret" is valid for user Internal. *AND*
> Password "intsecret" is valid for user Internal. *AND*
> ***** Password "oracle" is valid for user Internal.
>
> Of the last three, Internal accepting Sys' password makes sense as Sys and
> Internal are supposed to share the password. But, HOW DO I GET RID OF THIS
> "oracle" PASSWORD?
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Nasir.
> nasirnoor_at_REMOVETHISsysspan.com

This is just working as designed. In fact 'connect / as sysdba' would do. This is the preferred syntax as internal is already obsolete and has been removed in 9i.
The philosophy behind this is : if you are already a privileged user on the server, an extra password in Oracle won't stop you. If you really don't want this (and again : internal is no more in 9i) I think you should remove the ora_dba local group from your server. You might experience connect sys as sysdba with the old internal password still works, but then again you might not. In that you need to explicitly grant sysdba privilege to users.
I don't think you really need to SHOUT to resolve this problem; a little reading in the NT specific Oracle documentation or the getting started documentation would have resolved this issue also. It's a pity to see many people waste so much time because they seem to forget reading the docs.

Hth, Received on Sat Mar 31 2001 - 11:41:52 CST