How to structure prodecure

From: Matthew Rogers <bywf_at_gamestar.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 18:57:24 GMT

For the below problem, I'm using Oracle 8i and PL/SQL. My goal is to calculate a students GPA then display the top 3 for the entire class. My GPA function is called within my displayTop3GPA() stored procedure. I can display all records by using a cursor, but how can I sort them? Since none of the GPA data is static, I'm somewhat confused.

What I have tried is placing the data inside a nested table, but nested tables can't have more than 1 column, AND you can't apply SELECT statements to them.

The next thing I tried is creating a dynamic table and storing the information there, then sorting it, BUT I don't have access to create a table within a stored procedure.

How can I sort my dynamically generated data? Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Matt Received on Thu Mar 29 2001 - 12:57:24 CST