Error: Shard Memory Realm (ORA-27101)

From: Mazur <mazur_at_raincode.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 10:28:17 -0800

Oracle 8.1.7
Linux (RedHat6.2)
System is: Dell Poweredge 1300 (Dual 600Mhz processors, 256MB RAM)

I just installed oracle on my Linux box. It installed fine......I could connect and use all functions of the database.

But, once I restart the system, I can start the db with dbstart, but get these errors when trying to connect via svrmgrl or sqlplus:

ORA-01034: Oracle Not Available
ORA-27101: Shared Memory Realm does not exist Linux Error: No Such File Or Directory

Checking with all the documentation I can get my hands on, the remedy for the "shared memory realm" error is to "be sure it does exist". Unfortunately, I have no idea what that means.

Can anyone please suggest how to begin to fix this?

Thanks,
Rob

p.s. I also installed on an identical machine and everything works fine. Weird... Received on Thu Mar 29 2001 - 12:28:17 CST