Re: how to do attach file in Oracle?

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 01:05:44 GMT

I am not familiar with SQL Server, but the closest thing would probably be transportable tablespaces. What are you trying to do? (I know attach a file.) In SQLServer you have multiple databases and I am guessing that you can attach them to an instance. In Oracle you have an instance which is a database and within an Oracle database you can have schemas. You can think of them as like databases in SQLServer.

So in SQLServer you have the pubs database and the northwind database. In Oracle you can have 1 database with multple schemas and you could call them pubs, northwind, etc.

It gets a little different because a schema is a logical entity and it is stored in one or more tablespaces. Each tablespace consists of one or more data files.

So what are you trying to accomplish and maybe we can help. Jim