Re: SQLPLUS and equivalents

From: Laurence Barwick <barwick_at_gmx.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 11:57:46 +0200

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> Get Toad at www.toadsoft.com It has a command like interface with GUI drag
> and drop assistance, command line recall, a schema browser, et cetera. If
> you go for the freeware version you need to download it every month or so,
> but the file is not big in size.

Sounds interesting. Will have a look, and maybe even pay for it (old fashioned concept I know ;-) if it's what I'm looking for.

> With respect to FM: You definitely should read the Oracle Concepts Manual.
> For the rest it depends which route you are heading: developer or dba. You
> will of course need a command of sql and apart from buying Oracle, the
> complete reference, by Kevin Loney, you could of course always consult the
> SQL reference manual and (with respect to the data dictionary) the Oracle
> Reference manual. Sooner or later you will also need the PL/SQL manual and
> the Oracle Application Developers Guide when heading for developer.
> If you head for DBA: yes, you should read all of them.

Developer doing DIY DBA. Small business. Well, looks like a lot of reading and goodbye to a couple of toner cartridges.

> Two last remarks:
> Those youngsters GUI-aficionados frequently scorn SQL*Plus, but evidently
> they don't know what you can do with it (including generatin reports, and
> switching your printer to landscape)

Young people eh? I would love to be a big friend of SQL*Plus (what is with all these asterisks?), it's just the (apparent) lack of a command-line history that annoys my UNIX-shell-spoiled self. But someone else has pointed out SQL*Plus can talk to vi, which sounds good.

> Finally: Too many Oracle newbies have a SqlServer background. I don't know
> whether that applies to you, but usually those newbies 'port' their bad
> SqlServer habits to Oracle. Just try to escape from the Evil Empire and
> forget about SqlServer.

Running 100% EE-Clean. Wouldn't know MS-SqlServer if it hit me (at least, if my demise was to be caused by an MS-Product I hope I would be spared knowing ;-).

Seriously my background is MySQL. Please do not laugh hysterically at this point. I know what MySQL can and can't do and this is why I bending my head around Oracle.

Regards

Laurence Barwick Received on Wed Mar 28 2001 - 03:57:46 CST