Re: tns error with windows

From: Nikolaus Volejnik <Nikolaus.Volejnik_at_debis.at>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 18:01:25 +0200

hi eric,

it doesn´t matter if you are running oracle on a standalone machine or not. You have to identify your database in the tnsnames.ora file to connect to the database.

My mistake, i didn´t read, that you are installing on win98, here is the answer for win98: It will not work
You will have to use WinNT.

Little help when installing O8i again, use the example database during install. After install, start the net8assistant to identify your database in the tnsnames.ora file.
The net8assistant is a comfortable GUI for describing a database in tnsnames.ora.

good luck,
nik

Eric schrieb:

> Thanks for the reply.
> I should be more specific- I want to run Oracle on a stand-alone pc. Why do
> I even need the tns and adapter in this case?
> Can I uninstall this part of Oracle that wants this to be configured to make
> life simpler?
> any help appreciated
> regards
> Eric.
> Nikolaus Volejnik <Nikolaus.Volejnik_at_debis.at> wrote in message
> > Hi Eric,
> >
> > maybe it´s a simple Windows error.
> > the server to which you connect, must be clear for windows.
> > example: if your oracle server has a fully domain like
 oraserver.eric.domain.us