Re: Resource consumption in windows 2000

From: TurkBear <noone_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 14:43:08 -0600

Oracle will only use resources if it is running( doh! ) - you do not have to have it running all the time---set the service to 'manual' and only start it when you want to use the database...Same thing with the Listener service...No Oracle service needs to be running all the time if you are not using Oracle... It is not being installed that matters, it is being run ( except for disk space of course)

"Kim Eichen" <eichen_at_worldonline.dk> wrote:

>The reason why I cant be so specific about oracles resource consumption is
>that I have uninstalled oracle because of the big resouce consumption. You
>mention the excel case and that is actually how I want it. I dont mind if
>oracle uses a lot of ram when I am running oracle. What I mind is that
>oracle consumes resources whether I am using oracle or not. My system setup
>is:
>1200 thunderbird
>512 mb ram
>2* ibm 75gxp 46,1 gb harddisks in a striped array
>1* ibm 34gxp 34 gb only used for backup
>When I start windows 2000 without oracle the ram consumption is like 100 mb
>and when oracle is installed allocated memory is something like 400-450 mb.
>
>Regard Kim Eichen
>by the way, thanks for responding so fast
>
>"Kim Eichen" <eichen_at_worldonline.dk> skrev i en meddelelse
>>
>> I have oracle 8i Pe and oracle 8i EE and I am using windows 2000. When I
>> have installed any of the oracle databases it drains my computer for ram.
 Is