SQLPLUS and equivalents

From: Laurence Barwick <barwick_at_gmx.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 12:36:44 +0200

a wet-behind-the ears newbie writes:

I am making my first hesitant steps in the wonderful world of Oracle, some of which involve intensive contact with a nice little utility called SQLPLUS (or however it is written, I'm sure I've left out an asterisk somewhere ;-)

My question is: is it possible to configure SQLPLUS to use such niceties as command-line history and editing? As is (fire-and-forget one-line editing) it reminds me all too vividly of the days when MS-DOS was little more than an upstart rival to CP/M ...

My second question is: are there any other client-style programs equivalent to SQLPLUS? Preferably text console-based, although no doubt something GUIey would suffice. I seem to recall glimpsing the name of some such beast during the installation (I currently have 8.1.6 on Linux), can't for the life of me find it.

I would be very happy to RTFM if someone would give me a pointer to which of the many FMs I should R ;-)

Yours

Laurence Barwick Received on Tue Mar 27 2001 - 04:36:44 CST