Re: Newbie: couple of questions?

From: Mike Moore <hicamel_at_mail.home.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 01:35:11 GMT

If you can ditch Developer and Designer then I would, not because they are not great products, but because you already have enough to learn without adding to it. You can definitely ditch Designer and just use Developer to create FORMS if you want.
If you ditch Designer and Developer,
 how you proceed should depend on the kind of web server you are running. If it is an Oracle Web Server that supports the PL/SQL cartridge then that is
the easiest way to go. The URL points to a PL/SQL process. The process accessess the database and generates HTML back to the browser. If it is not an oracle web server, then I'd go with Java Servlets and JDBC. I suppose you could go with Perl CGI too but I don't much care for Perl. Mike

Rutger <xyz.miklo_22_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:99nvi0$c4c$1_at_nereid.worldonline.nl...

> Do you have a site for me where I can find information about linking a
> database with perl?
>

> "andrew_webby at hotmail" <spam_at_no.thanks.com> wrote in message
> > 'Answers' embedded
> >
> > "Rutger" <xyz.miklo_22_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm running oracle 7.3.4 on hp-ux 11.00, I know version 7 of oracle is
> > > really old but I have no choice (It's a project for school, only this
 is
> > > what they got). I have to make a database that contains information
 about
> > > 100 personal computers (ip-adres, configuration, diskusage, installed
> > > software, troubleshouting, etc, etc...). This database will be linked
> > > webpage (running on the same hp-ux server) so they can
 use/control/manage
 it
> > > by intranet using their hp terminals. The tools I'm using are Oracle
> > > Designer 6i and Oracle Forms & Reports 6i both under windows NT, there
 were
> > > no hp-ux versions.
> > >
> > > the (maybe stupid) questions:
> > >

> > > -How big should I make the tablespace?
> >
> > Depends. How much data do you anticipate putting in it? There are
> > table-sizing guidelines in the Oracle documentation. Depends on the
 usage
> > you anticiapte the database will get, lots of things really.
> >
> > > -Where do I start, first make the form under windows NT and run it
 under
> > > hp-ux and then link it to a webpage? if so, how do I run the form on
 hp-ux?
> > > How do I link the database to a webpage?
> >
> > Given that you appear to be wanting to do as much of this as possibly
 over
> > the web, why not use an HTML interface (ie. forget
 Designer/Forms/Reports
> > etc) to populate/query the database, driven by something like Perl? It
 seems
> > like a bit of a sledgehammer/nut interface as it is...
> >
> > Also, you'll no doubt want to automatically update disk usage stats etc,
 so
> > this is another reason why Perl (and the whole command-line ethos)
 should
 be