Re: What is a TABLESPACE?

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 07:11:01 -0800

continuing from what you wrote ...

And in Oracle tablespaces almost always are used to break up tables and indexes and place them onto separate physical drives to improve performance. Beyond that my impression is that most DBAs (myself included) use a different tablespace for tables of different extent sizes to remove the problem of tablespace fragmentation. So, for example, I might have one tablespace for small tables where the extent size is 512K and another for tables of 5M and another for 500M.

Daniel A. Morgan