Re: Are there any copyright restrictions on scott/tiger?

From: Lars Reineke <reineke_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 13:38:19 +0100

Hi,

Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag: tbloi8k3vo0ua1_at_beta-news.demon.nl...
> scott/tiger is a very smart schema, as it deals with all features of
 Oracle,
> including connect by.
> I can't believe MySQL supports connect by, so I can't recommend writing an
> introduction to sql using MySql.
> Also, your audience is better introduced to some real software (which you
> can download for free in a 'personal' version) as opposed to the MySql
> toyware.

Of course, you're right, but:
- Oracle Personal is about > 200 MB, too much for the average German 64k-Connect-User.
- MySQL takes only 10 MB to download, is easy to install and runs on nearly everything.
- I don't want to write a whole book. It's just for a quick-and-dirty website. So it's not commercial, either. - The intended audience are not people who _want_ to learn SQL, but people who _have to_. In this special case people who prepare themself for an exam and need to know a small subset of SQL, not the whole thing. - Is "CONNECT BY" ANSI-compliant?
- So, I think, you'll agree that an Oracle RDBMS for this small project would be overkill.

But that's not the point.
Are there any copyright restrictions? Received on Fri Mar 23 2001 - 06:38:19 CST