Re: [UTL_FILE]Can we use it under Windows 95/98/ME

From: Christian Sage <c.sage_at_t-systems.de>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 13:00:11 +0100

Hi Patrick,

the UTL_FILE package is part of the PL/SQL packages delivered with and built into the Oracle Server. It deals with output to and input from files local to the database server only.

That means files will always be written on the machine where the database is running. If you are using Personal Oracle on your 95/98/ME box, files will end up there. If, on the other hand, you are using an Oracle client connected to a remote server, files will end up on the remote machine (or have to be there in order for UTL_FILE to be able to read them).

To circumvent this limitation you could think about working with remotely mounted file systems. For a variety of reasons (could require additional software, is a potential security breach, generates administrative overhead, etc.) I don't think that is such a good idea, though.

Generally you should read and write things through the client if your data source or sink is on the client machine, and you should use UTL_FILE when you need to do things directly on the server machine.

Hth,
Christian Sage