Re: Are there any copyright restrictions on scott/tiger?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 06:44:38 +0100

"Lars Reineke" <reineke_at_bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:99e1im$p4c$00$1_at_news.t-online.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to write a kind of "Beginner's Introduction to SQL".
>
> Because many people already have installed the demo tables of scott/tiger,
> I want to deal with these tables.
>
> On the other hand, not everyone has an Oracle RDBMS available, so want to
> focus "mySQL" instead.
>
> My question is: Are there any legal restrictions on using the
> scott/tiger-tables for this project?
>
> I already built a demobld.mysql, but I hesitate to publish it for legal
> reasons.
>
> --
> Lars Reineke

scott/tiger is a very smart schema, as it deals with all features of Oracle, including connect by.
I can't believe MySQL supports connect by, so I can't recommend writing an introduction to sql using MySql.
Also, your audience is better introduced to some real software (which you can download for free in a 'personal' version) as opposed to the MySql toyware.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Thu Mar 22 2001 - 23:44:38 CST