Re: Please be kind to a newbie!

From: Shawn Fraser <shawn.fraser_at__remove_cancercare.mb.ca>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 14:52:10 GMT

Hi John,

I like you am a newbie to Oracle. Have been a sybase DBA for ~5 years and very familiar with SUN. I had the same problem as you. I tried the typical install of version 8.1.7 for Solaris 2.8. Basically my finding was that the Oracle Database Configuration Assistant is f**ked.

What you should try is reinstall the oracle WITHOUT creating the Database. Then fire up Database Conf Ass after successful install of the Oracle software. DO not let it create the databases for you. When you have the option to create the database or save the info to scripts, save it to scripts.

Then have a look at the scripts.

What I ended up having to do was compare the pfile the Database Conf Ass was creating (probably $ORACLE_HOME/admin/$ORACLE_SID/pfile/init<SID>.ora) with the template init.ora file ($ORACLE_HOME/dbs/init.ora).

Make a copy of the init<SID>.ora file. Make a copy of init.ora file as init<SID>.ora. Copy in the new specific information from the original init<SID>.ora file into this new file.

Run the first script in the series (look in the file you saved the scripts to. The first is probably $ORACLE_HOME/<script_dir>/$ORACLE_SIDrun.sh.

It should work correctly. I have a call in with oracle to solve this problem, but after 2 weeks I couldn't get a good answer out of them, so I gave up.

Send me an email, to let me know how you made out.

Shawn Fraser (shawn.fraser@_remove_cancercare.mb.ca) Systems / Database Administrator
CancerCare Manitoba

In article <9992v8$skc$1_at_slb6.atl.mindspring.net>,