Re: Please be kind to a newbie!

From: John Gay <jfg4_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 21:23:34 -0500

Thanks to all who have responded. Again I am new to both Solaris and Oracle and I feel that there is a little something that I am not doing.

I am trying to install this on a Solaris box named - ra - I am not trying to do anything fancy here I just need to create a db instance called "issed" for some testing purposes.

I have created the oracle user and he is a member of both the oinstall and dba group.

The user has the path set to the Oracle install point ( /ora1/OraHome1) and to the bin directory (ora1/OraHome1/bin) and the following entries for the profile:

ORACLE_HOME=/ora1/OraHome1
export ORACLE_HOME
DISPLAY=ra:0.0
export DISPLAY
ORACLE_SID=issed
export ORACLE_SID

I go through the install for the Enterprise edition accepting all the defaults. The install appears to be flawless untill it comes time for it to create the database it gets about 80% complete and then it pops up an error that says "ORA-01034:ORACLE not available".

All the documentation says is that you should check the paths (which I have) and then verify that the Oracle server is running (which I do not know how to do). After this message I cancel the DB creation and let it finish. It says all is succesful sans the creation of the DB instance.

I can run the Oracle Database Configuration Assistant and get the same results.

The Net8 Assistant comes up and all looks well.

Does anyone have any ideas????

Thanks

John