Re: Access to Oracle

From: Simon Hardcastle <simonhardcastle_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 21:31:57 GMT

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001 20:20:25 GMT, "Dave" <itsnotimportant_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

Dave

>Dear NG,
>
>I am very comfortable writing databases in Access, but alas, I know that the
>overhead it carries does not fair well with large projects. So, we have
>decided to invest in Oracle. I know I could write the program in Access
>with little trouble, but the sheer number of records would blow the machine
>up (not literally, of course).
>
>Is there a tool with or without Oracle that can convert the database from
>Access to Oracle? If so, how accurate is it?
Yes, Oracle 8.0.5 onwards shipped with a neat little Access database conversion tool. I have used it a couple of times and it seems to be OK. I was converting a dbase with about 15 tables which contained a total of 1000 to 2000 records in total (I think, this was about a year ago).

>On a secondary note, is creating a database in Oracle much different than
>creating one in Access (given that I create mine in Access not using the GUI
>interface very often -- I prefer SQL coding)?
The create table syntax is different from Access and abviously can be way more complicated; however IMHO if you follow some of the examples in the documentation you should be OK