indexing table by word not by column

From: ori <ori_m57_at_hotmail.co.il>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 18:32:26 -0000

Hi there,

Is there a way to index a table by word and not by column? for example:
If my table have 4 colomn (each one is a var char) which all may contain the word I am looking for , the sql for such un unindex table would be something like:

Select column1, column2, column3, column4 from table where (column1 like '%word%') or (column2 like '%word%') or (column3 like '%word%') or (column4 like '%word%')

which will take forever to run on 100,000 rows.

if I could do some index like a table contain the key word and the row number maybe something like

word:     rows:
abc     1,2,3,4
def     2,3,11

then this search will go much faster...
Is there a way to create such an object?

thanks

ori