Re: problem reading CLOB columns

From: Business <ihatespam_at_nomail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 22:38:45 -0500

Clobs have to be converted to buffers to be read in most tools. If you program in OCI you can use the locator directly, most tools do not support the direct read of CLOBs since this is a newer data type.

You have a couple of options:

  1. You can use a stored procedure to return the clobs as 32k-1 buffers since this is the limit on PL/SQL VARCHAR2 types (much bigger than the SQL limit of 4000 bytes).
  2. If the clob needs to be return in a cursor, you will need to break it up into pieces using DBMS_LOB.SUBSTR, because cursors can only return SQL types.