shutdown immediate ?

From: Doug O'Leary <dkoleary_at_ro05-24-29-232-217.ce.mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 17:44:35 GMT

Hey,

One more discrepency in the various documentation that I'm studying:

According to Chapter 3 of Oracle 8i Admin guide, shutdown immediate does not require instance recovery on the next restart. As a UNIX admin, I shut down databases "immediate"ly any number of times and, as far as I know, never had to do instance recovery.

Yet, in the OCP Certification exam guide, pg 285, "the database will most likely need instance recovery after an immediate shutdown."

I'm assuming that's incorrect. Any contrary info?

Thanks for your time.

Doug

--
Douglas K. O'Leary