Re: A sequence problem

From: John Jones <john.jones_at_duke.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 15:22:59 -0500

I think this is what you are looking for:

you want to go from 123 to 10. The difference is 113.

So, "alter sequence sequence_name increment by -113;" Yes that is minus 113.

Now do "select sequence_name.nextval from dual;" this will increment it by -113.

Now do "alter sequence increment by 1;"

Now leave it alone and it is ready for the next person to select from. Just be warned that if this is a primary key and if tries to use a number that is already used, you will get an error. Say of there is a gap between 10- 16, 17 is there and then a gap from 18-123. 11-16 will work, but you will have a problem when it does 17.

John Jones
Senior Oracle DBA
Duke University, OIT
john.jones_at_duke.edu