Re: segment ?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 19:18:44 +0100

"Doug O'Leary" <dkoleary_at_ro05-24-29-232-217.ce.mediaone.net> wrote in message news:mG7r6.192$8Jx.43384971_at_news.randori.com...
> Hey;
>
> I think I'm close to understanding; but, I'd like confirmation:
>
> All database data is stored in segments which are made up of
> one or more extents. That one I got down pat.
>
> Each table, index, etc, in a basic database, is made up of
> one and only one segment. When the segment runs out of space,
> it'll extend by obtaining more extents assuming there's room
> in the tablespace datafile. This one I'm swagging.
>
> I haven't seen anywhere that there can only be one segment
> in a table, index, etc, so I'm assuming there has to be cases
> where there can be more than one segment. Is that a valid assumption
> and, if so, when does that happen?
>
> For purposes of the OCP exam, are segments considered physical or
> logical entities? I would think they're logical; however, the Exam
> guide (page 270) says they're logical objects, while the DBA
> handbook (page 23) says they're physical.
>
> Thanks for any info.
>
> Doug
>
> --
> Douglas K. O'Leary
> Senior System Administrator
> dkoleary_at_mediaone.net

A segment is the physical representation of either a table or an index or a cluster, etc.
A segment is made up of one or more extents. So one table can have *only one* segment, by definition.

The exam guide is clearly wrong, and the dba handbook is correct.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Mon Mar 12 2001 - 12:18:44 CST