A classic search issue.

From: Morten Primdahl <morten_at_caput.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 12:21:21 +0100

Hi.

I'd like to present a large result set 20 records at a time. As I see it, there are two approaches,

  1. Cache the result set in a middle layer buffer
  2. Select using where rownum > X and rownum < Y The first approach results in other issues as memory costs w. multiple concurrent users, one user performing queries from multiple clients (but only has one cache)... These can ofc. be worked around. The second approach seems expensive (I need an ORDER BY clause) - how are problems like this typically solved? Caching partial resultsets?

Another question: Using SET HEADING OFF, how do I avoid getting the blank lines in SQLplus?

Thanks,

Morten

--
Morten Primdahl         Caput A/S       Tel +45 70 12 24 42
morten_at_caput.com        Nygade 6        Fax +45 70 11 24 42