Re: software needed

From: William Bailey <billbailey64_at_netzero.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 01:45:05 GMT

"Don Waechter and Frances Schagen" <blackrock_at_ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:3AA634D5.6F668A0F_at_ns.sympatico.ca...
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to find database software that can handle 250,000 to 500,000
> records, 10 fields each, all text.

Oracle can absolutely handle this and much much more ...

> I really don't want to chunk up the database into 5+ separate pieces.

You wouldn't have to with Oracle ...

> Right now, the ones I've tried will clog at 60,000 records (Instabase,
> Access, Maximizer). My spreadsheet (Corel Quattro) also balks at these
> numbers, but a spreadsheet that handled 250,000 records would do as well
> as a database program.

Not surprising ...

> Capabilities needed:
> - searchable and sortable by multiple fields, for instance "Find all
> Country=NZ, and sort by city", or "find all country=US and sort by
> state, then sort by city"

All of this can be accomplished via SQL ... there are GUI front ends that can be used to make this more user friendly too ... both from Oracle and from other vendors. Even Access can connect to an Oracle data source and display data from Oracle via the Access front end.

> - Results of searches can be saved as .csv files.

Again Access can do this, I think, when connected to the Oracle DB on the back end. You can also generate .csv files using either PL/SQL or SQL (via sqlplus) in Oracle ...

> - Ability to import files of data to existing database, not having
> to start another. For instance, if I have 10,000 more records to add, I
> don't have to add individually!

SQL*Loader does this quite easily ...

> - Really, that's all I need. No special font, image, hyperlink, or
> any other capability. Just handling text.
>
> Something tells me my needs will be better met by simpler software,
> developed in years past. Less ram used, less data stored per field,
> because it's just text.
>
> My system is 700Mhz, 128M ram.
>
> I am not a corporation, and don't have big cash to spend.

Given this, Oracle Enterprise Edition is probably out of the question ... and possibly Oracle Standard Edition, too. But Oracle also sells Oracle8i Personal Edition and Oracle Light ... both are cheaper than the heavyweights and typically require fewer resources. Can't say if their cheap enough though since I don't know your budget.

> Thanks so much for your help!

Hope it helped some.