Re: Real-world object use?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 19:08:52 +0800

Van Messner wrote:

> I'm in the same position you're in. Couldn't see that the object oriented
> pieces were far enough along to use now. Maybe someone else has made good
> use of them. If so I'd like to know the specifics.
>
> Van
>
> "Gerard Averill" <gaverill_at_chsra.wisc.eduNOSPAM> wrote in message
> > I was wondering if anyone has used or is using the new object-oriented
 features
> > of Oracle 8.x as part of a "real-world" application. Since these
 features,
> > from an object-oriented standpoint, are still a little thin, IMHO, I'd be
> > interested in how developers are making use of them.
> >
> > One of the articles on Oracle's website (otn.oracle.com) about the new
 features
> > of Oracle 9i states:
> >
> > "To increase the usefulness of Objects, inheritance, type evolution and
> > dynamic method dispatch are all supported in Oracle9i - greatly reducing
 the
> > maintenance cost of using objects in application development." --Oracle
 9i -New
> > Features Summary
> >
> > I've been hoping to replace most of an "object layer" I developed for use
 with
> > several 7.3-based applications with a much simplier one making use of 8i
 object
> > features, but am thinking maybe I should just wait for 9i!
> >
> > Any thoughts out there?

> > --
> > Gerard Averill

We make reasonable use of the collections, combined with TABLE and CAST to allow for an SQL interface on complex PL/SQL data structures.

Hardly profound, but very useful...

HTH

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"