Re: ORACLE installation - instance - database

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 07:53:23 +0100

Relationship between instance and database is 1 to 1. One instance will manage only one database You can create multiple instances on one server and whether or not you use multiple different versions of Oracle doesn't really matter. Of course, when you are using only one version of Oracle, it should be installed only once. The questions you are asking betray you must be from a sqlserver background. In Oracle a database definitely isn't the same as in sqlserver. In Oracle you should equate a sqlserver database with an Oracle schema.

These issues are discussed in further detail in the Oracle concepts manual, which is online at http://technet.oracle.com

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

"Happy" <allan_at_livvy80.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:97ubhr$ise$1_at_news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Can anybody please tell me the relationship between installations,
 instances
> and databases?
> Is it 1 to 1 to 1?
> Or can multiple databases be created from a single installation or
 instance?
> Is an instance the same as an installation?
> Is a database the same as an instance?
> What defines them?
>
> ORACLE talk about a 'database system' comprising more than one database.
 Do