Read UNIX e-mail from Oracle with PL/SQL?

From: Dave <fornalskyd_at_mediaone.net>
Date: 2 Mar 2001 16:38:03 -0600

Hi all,

A big-wig at the client I'm at needs to check his e-mail while he's off site using a wireless device, most likely a Palm OS handheld. We've discussed a number of ways but for various reasons they've all been shot down.

The latest and greatest idea has been to build a simple web interface to the e-mail account. This solves a number of technical hurdles (and many other security and political hurdles) and using PL/SQL would be easy to create. Think something like Yahoo mail.

Sending e-mail would be no trouble, but how can I access this user's UNIX e-mail account (Sun/Solaris) from Oracle with PL/SQL so that I can read his messages and present them in the Web interface? Any ideas? Can this be done and is there any sample code out there I can be pointed to? Using Oracle8i 8.1.6 and Oracle Web Server 2.1.

Thanks for any help!