Replicating to different database

From: David Dawkins <david_j_dawkins_hotmail_com_at_devnull.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 13:50:52 -0000

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to replicate certain tables from an Oracle (v7.x/v8.x) database to a different type of database (not necessarily an SQL-based database).

Initial experiments use triggers to create a transaction table, which is polled and consumed by an external application, and which then updates the remote database. Unfortunately, the impact of the triggers combined with the "reader" application slows down the transaction turnaround time in the master application way too much.

My questions, then:

  1. All I really want is an API that will supply me with a transaction stream; is there any product out there that already does this?
  2. Can Oracle maintain a transaction log that can be polled and read by a reader application? The reader application will need access to the transaction type (action,table name) and the data (field names and values).
  3. Just supposing that triggers and a reader application is the only way to do this, what is the optimal way to insert the transaction details into the transaction table, and what is the optimal way to read and clean-up the transaction table? "Optimal" to me would mean minimal delay on the master application's transaction, while maximising the transaction throughput rate in the reader.

Thanks for any pointers; even if the appropriate reply is "hey sonny, you just asked for about $200,000,000.00 worth of consultancy there.". :)

Regards,
David Dawkins
david_j_dawkins_hotmail_com_at_devnull.com
Please fix my reply address! Received on Thu Mar 01 2001 - 07:50:52 CST