Re: Nested scalar functions in Oracle SQL? (easy)

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 23:08:25 +0100

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001 11:50:33 -0500, Steven Healey <sphealey_at_MailAndNews.com> wrote:

>In Oracle SQL (not PL/SQL, just a query design), can I nest calls to scalar
>functions? For example, can I say
> SUBSTR(TRIM(variable),1,5)
> or
> SUBSTR(SUBSTR(variable),1,5),2,4)?
>
>This is possible in every other programming language I have used, but I get
>syntax errors from SQL Plus when I try it.
>
>sPh

Sure you can. The trim function however doesn't exist, only the ltrim and the rtrim function.
As you don't provide any specific statement and or any specific error, it is very difficult to help you out.
Try verifying the proper syntax in the sql reference manual, online at http://technet.oracle.com

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Thu Mar 01 2001 - 16:08:25 CST