Re: Using Index-Organized Table (IOT)

From: Kenneth Koenraadt <jks34_at_mobilixnet.dk>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 15:52:22 +0100

The administrative overhead with IOT's occurs in connection with the creation parameters pcttreshold and overflow (see Oracle documentation). In many cases, that may
not be a problem.

What may be worse is the fact that IOT's cannot be partitioned or replicated (see Oracle documentation).

With these potential problems in mind, only use IOT's when you have a good reason.

If it can help make your application faster by saving a sort, that may be a good reason. It's a case-specific trade-off. Just remember that applications change but tables remain ( mostly ;-) )