Re: corrupted 8i? how to fix please?

From: Mart Hurst <Wayfarergenesis_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:41:10 GMT

Thanks Andrew!

She said she wasn't doing anything -- that she in fact was trying to shut down normally (was not in Oracle at the time) and the machine just went down and not through the normal screens/steps.

I do not know how long it has been since she has done a reformat, but I'd guess a couple of years, although she does say she does do defrags. Have suggested Norton's System Works so she can check things out and do regular maintenance -- and at least for me, Symantec has always "been there" to help if I've had a problem I couldn't figure out and needed them.

Since we are students we are not in danger of losing major databases if we have to reinstall like real people, so it isn't as big a deal -- but someday soon I will be in the position of dealing with a situation where it is a big deal, and I need to learn how to handle it best. I certainly like and appreciate the info that you and the others are willing to share -- it helps me become more knowledgeable so I can help myself and others.

Thanks!

Mart