Re: Deleting an instance

From: Myron Wintonyk <Myron.Wintonyk_at_UAlberta.CA>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 08:36:19 +1000

The "instance" is made up of the oracle memory structures and the oracle code.
I'll assume you mean the database (and instance).

  1. Shut down the instance.
  2. Remove all data, control and redo log files.
  3. Remove the pfile (parameter).
  4. If you use TNSNAMES, edit the files and remove the reference.
  5. If you use Oracle names, remove the reference.
  6. Edit the oratab files and remove the reference.
  7. Remove all archived logs.
  8. Remove all backup copies.

I think that's it, but it's of the top of my head. Anyone else care to add anything?