Re: Who should release to production ?

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 19:43:27 -0800

> I'm not sure if this is the best place for this, but can anyone please tell
> me their opinions on this issue:
>
> Should developers be allowed to make direct releases of their code to a
> production environment (after testing), or should decisions on such releases
> be left to the DBA/System Admin(s) ?

No developer should ever release code into production. If not for reasons of good practice and common sense ... for reasons of self-preservation and survival.

In large companies formal procedures exist that involve sign-offs and independent testers. In a smaller company the end-user that owns the system (the user) should be required to test and approve any code. In any case ... the person that places it into the production environment should be the DBA/SA.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Mon Feb 26 2001 - 21:43:27 CST