Re: Oracle Server Question

From: Dave Pulaski <dave_at_dpulaski.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 23:21:50 -0500

You need to be a lot more specific. What do you mean by a "very large amount" of data? How many tables, and how wide are they? How many rows per table for the initial load, and what's the growth? What is the nature of the transactions, and where do they come from? How is the data going to be queried? Will your historical queries (you mentioned 2 years of history) be at a detail or aggregate level, or some combination? What are your requirements for uptime and fault tolerance? Your user load seems to be very low, which is a good thing, unless those two or three people are doing nasty ad-hoc queries.

If you have already decided on unix, which I think is great, give Linux some consideration too (seriously). From your vague description so far, it sounds like a pretty small database and only hundreds of transactions per day is nothing. You can save a lot of money, and Linux is just as stable (although not as scalable, yet) as Solaris.

Dave Pulaski
Database Consultant

--
David A. Pulaski