Re: corrupted 8i? how to fix please?

From: andrew_webby at hotmail <spam_at_no.thanks.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 17:03:12 -0000

To be honest, this sounds more like plain and simple FAT corruption of the hard disk rather than *necessarily* being a mangled installation. It could very well turn into that though. Run a SCANDISK and see what comes up. Your only way of knowing whether Oracle itself is OK is if it will startup/shutdown on command without spewing all over the ALERT.LOG - as previous respondent has said. You could also try running an export of the database to check the structure is OK.

Other than that, you'll just be guessing. FAT tends to have problems in groups of clusters - and if she wasn't doing anything in Oracle at the time, I'd be willing to guess it's fine. The fact she lost a shortcut probably suggests windows was doing something in that area of the disk (where startmenu/desktop icons are stored) - hopefully, well away from the oracle database/program areas.

Of course, if you'd been running NT with NTFS, you may stand less chance of this happening... ;-)