Re: Development Cycle

From: Dr. Mueller <nospam_at_nospam.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 00:37:37 GMT

I see exactly what you are meaning. Yes, basically develop your site on a local web server, and give the names of each development box the same, i.e. at work, you would reference:

http://dev-box/examples/servlet/testing

...and at home, you could use the same URL, but because your machine name at
home is the same, the URL:

http://dev-box/examples/servlet/testing

...would also work. So you are using the same name to enable you to develop
in both places, without having to change anything. I would use relative paths for as much as possible, it enables you to move your files and/or site.

And, if you set the SID's on both work and home TNSNAMES.ORA, then that will solve the database resolution problems as well. That's how I have developed projects in home and work, it makes life so much easier.

The other alternative is to make the IP address of your home machine, the same as that of your work machine. But I think the above, dynamic option is better all-round.

Hope this helps. Received on Sun Feb 25 2001 - 18:37:37 CST