Re: corrupted 8i? how to fix please?

From: Mart Hurst <Wayfarergenesis_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 22:59:50 GMT

Hi,

Thanks for the responses!

I was posting the problem for a fellow student (she is taking the beginning Oracle Database Concepts class I took last year, I am in PL now). I had installed her 8i for her, and the database the teacher provides two months ago and things have been fine. She called me last night with the info I posted -- she does not have access to newsgroups so I posted because I do know there are problems with un-installing 8i -- this may be because the version that comes with the Course Technology Database Systems book is a "student" version, but it has been reported by several students who tried installing without reading through the readme files first (I actually print them off) and then confirmed by the teacher -- so un-installing 8i involves going into the registry and deleting files which I'm not anxious to try without guidence..

I went over to her house today, and while I am not sure what had happened yesterday, the results were that the SQL Plus option in the programs menu had been deleted. I reinstalled that back for her and went through the database, form builder etc looking for any obvious errors. I did not find any other errors, and it seems to be working correctly. That doesn't neccasrily mean there aren't any problems or corrupted files, but I was able to fix the obvious. If I have to go back because problems do surface it is good to know there are options and I very much appreciate your help.

Thank you,

Mart Received on Sat Feb 24 2001 - 16:59:50 CST