Re: Development Cycle

From: Mazur <robertm_at_sherwoodforestfarms.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 17:16:31 -0800

Thanks for your response.

Yes, what I mean by web links is the links that would be calling the servlets and JSP's. So if I use on one machine this URL to get to the servlet:

http://192.168.1.1/examples/servlet/MyServlet

...then the address to get to the same servlet in my other environment might be:

http://186.132.1.1/examples/servlet/MyServlet

...because the servlet container (Tomcat) is on a different machine, so that machine needs to be called in the URL. I could use the resolved name like:

http://www.mydomain.com/examples/servlet/MyServlet

.....but there again, the domain name will be different at the two locations. You are correct that they are relative to the web site as far as the directory structure goes, but the name of the machine has to be called. Well, now that I say that, I suppose I could use relative URL addresses rather than absolute URL paths. That would help, assuming the directory structure on each server is the same.

Then again, if I used a local web server (on the machine I am developing with) on each machine, I could call everything by http://localhost/examples/servlet/MyServlet , and then switch everything to the real ip address or resolved name at the end of the development phase of the project. Then all I would have to worry about is the connection line to the Oracle database. And yes, if I adjust my hosts file on each machine so that the same name is used for the respective ip addresses that Oracle resides on, then that would solve that.

Hmmmmmmm? I feel like I am confusing myself more than I need to, perhaps. Still thinking it through.....

Any more comments? :-) I appreciate your help in spurring my thinking.

Rob