Re: Development Cycle

From: Dr. Mueller <nospam_at_nospam.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 22:12:52 GMT

> Let me explain....I have a project that I would like to work on at the
> office where there is a Oracle instance on a server. I write my code
> (servlets/JSP's) on my laptop connected to the Oracle server on the LAN.

Ok, not an expert on Servlet's or JSP.

> I also have an Oracle instance at home on a server, where I write my
> code on a desktop connected to the Oracle server on the LAN. It has the
> same SID name as the Oracle instance at work. Both work and home have
> active web servers online as well.

Understood.

> When developing the code/web pages, I need to specify ip addresses for
> web links, a SID for the database, an ip address for the Oracle server
> to accompany the SID for the conneciton, etc. If I am writing this code
> at work, I can't very well take my java source files home to work on
> them, and expect them to work on the fly....as the ip addresses for the
> web servers are different, the ip addresses for the Oracle servers are
> different....luckily the SID's are the same.

What do you mean you need to specify different IP addresses for the web links? Aren't the web links relative to the web-site?

> Do you see the dilemna? Of course, when I take the code home, I could
> change all the hardcoded ip addresses and web link addresses before I
> begin work again. But then I would have to change them back in the
> morning when I return to work....a bit of a pain.

Dilemma? Not really. Specifying the SID for Oracle, I can see that. Why don't you give your web server's the same name? And work on them that way? Then you are using a similar system to Oracle, giving something a name when in reality it points to a different IP?

Maybe you could explain a little further?

Regards. Received on Sat Feb 24 2001 - 16:12:52 CST