Re: Paradox Forms and Oracle Database

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 11:07:33 -0800

> I have a exsisting application that is built on paradox forms and paradox
> database.
> The forms are binded with the paradox databse with native connections and
> not odbc.
>
> now i want to change the paradox database to oracle.
>
> so i want to know wheather my paradox forms will be required to change if
> yes then upto what extent?
>
> will i retain all the exsisting fucntionality?
>
> and what is your advise in this regard about the performance ..?

It has been almost ten years since I connected Paradox forms to an Oracle database so my memory is a bit sketchy. First off you need a product Borland used to sell to make the connection. I have no idea whether they still sell it or whether Corel does. But if you can get it the performance will be mediocre and not too much recoding will be required provided you can repoint from one database to another without everything breaking ... it may.

Personally I would throw Paradox away and make the change to Oracle's Developer Forms 6i. A much better product for reasons of scalability, security and stability. One that will continue to work with future versions of the Oracle database. And one that offers you a career path. I can't imagine there are too many jobs out there anywhere for Paradox experts.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Sat Feb 24 2001 - 13:07:33 CST