Re: Are there inherent or 3rd-party tools for encrypting data inOracle?

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_usgs.gov>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 16:23:30 GMT

> 8.1.7). Is the data encryption package that you mentioned
> (DBMS_OBFUSTICATION) only available in Release 3?

No. I know that it is available in 8.1.6 too. I'm not sure about 8.1.5, but it wouldn't surprise me. Or it might have started at 8.1.6. Before you can use the DBMS_OBFUSCATION toolkit, you'll need to create the packages/procedures. This script is $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/catobtk.sql which calls the dbmsobtk.sql and prvtobtk.sql scripts. I don't think that this is run automatically with catalog or catproc.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at