Re: backup without telnet access

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 19:12:31 +0100

On 21 Feb 2001 11:38:05 -0600, louca_at_mailandnes.com (Lou) wrote:

>hi to everybody!
>
>I would like to have a copy of a db (for testing it), which is locate on a
>server, to which I can't access using telnet (this db is used by an
>application that is on a server, to thich I can telnet). Is it possible?
>
>Thanks in advance for any reply.
>
>Lou

You have two options:
1 install export on your client, configure sqlnet to access that remote database, and export to your own pc 2 have the DBA overthere export and allow you to ftp the export to your own pc. You would need import on your system in order to use that file

A copy only applies if you run on *exactly* the same version and platform. As you don't specify which version and platform you are using, it is difficult to tell whether a 'copy' will work.

Be prepared for a schock: the database you just want to 'copy' is probably many Megabytes and the export too. You will probably have to explain yourself to the people at the server, and they are probably going to resist.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Wed Feb 21 2001 - 12:12:31 CST