Re: Copying Database from One location to Another

From: Alex Filonov <afilonov_at_pro-ns.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 04:38:23 GMT

kush wrote:

> hi! Could anyone tell me what are the steps to create a database in new
> location by reusing
> the controlfiles, datafiles, redologfiles and arch. files(if needed) from
> another database in another location.
> This is more like copying database from one machine to another except the
> fact that
> a. I can't shutdown the original database and take a cold backup(it has to
> be up all the time) and its running in archivelogmode.
> b. when I create(recover) database at new location, I need to do point in
> time recovery.
>
> both machine has oracle 8.1.5 standard edition.
> Thanks in advance.

Steps you need to do:

  1. Make a hot database backup. All tablespaces.
  2. Copy all other files, including log files, controlfiles, init<sid>.ora, archive log files.
  3. Copy this all onto another machine, preserving the directory structure.
  4. Startup database and recover until time.
  5. Now you can rename database, if you want to.

Note: You can't rename database before recover. If you need to change directory structure, try to
rename files one by one. Received on Wed Feb 21 2001 - 22:38:23 CST