Re: performance question

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 23:15:56 +0100

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:00:55 GMT, "Craig Taylor" <craigtaylor2_at_home.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I really appreciate any insight anyone can offer me.
>
>I am about to set up a small search engine for my shopping site. I have just
>over 1100 products now, but I am expecting much more (knock on wood).
>
>I want to use indexing to speed things up. The tables for the search will
>not be updated (insert deletes etc).
>
>My question has to do with the whether to break the product description
>field down into individual words and store them as new fields (and index
>them), or to use a "LIKE" query to search the description field for the
>word. Also, can I use indexing with a "LIKE".
>
>Thanks again,
>
>Craig

This all depends whether you have (IIRC in the Enterprise Edition only) Oracle Intermedia, which product has been developed for that type of query. If you have it, you should get better results with Intermedia than with anything your develop yourself as Intermedia can perform free searches in text.
The LIKE cllause will only using an index with *trailing* wildcards, not with leading wildcards.
So if you don't have, don't want to use Intermedia, you are going to need a seperate table
with as column definition
keyword
productid
and your end-users will search on your keyword table.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Tue Feb 20 2001 - 16:15:56 CST