Re: Rollback commited action?

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_usgs.gov>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:02:15 GMT

Marcin,

You cannot rollback a committed transaction.

At some point in the life of the transaction (at the end) you come to a crossroads. You can either rollback the transaction, or you can commit it. If you commit the transaction, the transaction is complete and the changes incurred by the transaction become "permanent". If you rollback the transaction, then any changes incurred by the transaction are erased. No matter which road you choose, the moment you commit or rollback, the transaction is now complete. Any subsequent rollback statements apply to the "new" transaction, not the old one.

HTH,
Brian

Marcin Ciesielski wrote:

> Hi everybody
> I have a PL/SQL procedure that performs a commit at the end.
> Is there any way to rollback changes made by that procedure?
> Unfortunately I cannot modify source of that procedure.
>
> I have heard about nested transactions, which means that I can have sub
> transaction
> , which changes are commited only when outer transaction commits.
> Is it implemented in ORACLE?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Marcin

Brian Peasland